You are here
American Center for Design records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
49.5 linear feet of material consisting of correspondence, minutes, financial records, membership surveys and directories, event information, sound recordings, and other records of the American Center for Design, founded as the Society of Typographic Arts. Also present are ACD/STA material collected by Susan Jackson Keig, first woman president of the STA in 1955–1956, when she was Susan Karstrom, including typed reminiscences (from 1989) in which Keig describes STA meetings/field trips in the 1950s–1960s, including one to visit Frank Lloyd Wright in 1957, a 1955 STA news release announcing Susan Karstrom's election as president, seven reel-to-reel audio tapes of STA conferences and discussions (1962–1963), and ACD membership mailings from 1991–1992. Includes phonograph record album, R. Buckminster Fuller thinks out loud, and tape recordings made at STA conferences, including tapes of John Berry and Eric Larabee.
Biographical Historical Note
The Society of Typographic Arts was founded in 1927 when the Chicago chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts broke away to create a separate design group. Its aim was to promote high standards of design, the education of designers, and public awareness of the role of good design, and to sponsor exhibitions, including an annual Design in Chicago Printing Exhibition, and a printing workshop at the Newberry Library in Chicago. The Society of Typographic Arts became known as the American Center for Design in 1989. The organization closed in 2002. Later, a successor organization in Chicago resumed use of the name Society of Typographic Arts.
A portion of the collection is closed until processed. Related collections: Society of Typographic Arts collection of visual materials, Society of Typographic Arts visual materials for 1982-1983, Society of Typographic Arts visual materials primarily from the 1960s, Chicago History Museum, and Society of Typographic Arts records, University of Illinois at Chicago; Society of Typographic Arts Workshop Records, Newberry Library.