You are here
Childerly Chapel photograph album
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
.25 linear foot (1 box) consisting of an album of eleven black and white photographs of Childerly Chapel in Wheeling, Illinois, detailing the interior of the chapel, with some exterior views. Images include André Derain's Last Supper in situ as well as documentation of sculpture by Alfeo Faggi.
Biographical Historical Note
Commissioned by Emily Crane Chadbourne, Childerly Chapel was built in 1926 on the grounds of the Crane family estate (now the Crane Company Retirement Place and Grounds), in Wheeling, Illinois. Although the architect is unknown, the chapel's interior was finished with works by André Derain and Alfeo Faggi. Derain's painting Last Supper (1911) hung above the altar of the chapel until circa 1939. Faggi, a friend of the Crane family, was commissioned to decorate the remainder of the chapel's interior. His work included Holy Child, two standing sculptures of St. Francis, and a well-known Stations of the Cross. Two large stone doors decorated with relief carvings by Faggi and Derain's Last Supper entered The Art Institute of Chicago's permanent collection in 1946.