You are here
Chicago Academy of Design records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
2 minute books documenting the Academy of Design’s efforts to support the development of art in Chicago by sponsoring exhibitions, lectures, and art instruction.
Biographical Historical Note
The Academy of Design was organized in 1866 by local artists L.C. Earle, Charles Peck, F.W. Peck, Enoch Root, L.W. Volk, and others as a school and exhibition gallery for local artists. In 1869 it incorporated as an academy on the European model with a hierarchy of elected members. Due to financial difficulties in the wake of the Great Fire of 1871, its effects were sold to a group of businessmen who in 1879 founded the Academy of Fine Arts, renamed the Art Institute of Chicago in 1882. The Academy of Design continued until 1907.