Women's Board, art rental and sales gallery records

Inclusive Dates: 
1954–1986

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

29 linear feet of material consisting of files on artists represented by the Art Institute of Chicago’s Art Rental and Sales Gallery, including contracts, receipts, sales and rental records, and correspondence, ledgers, scrapbooks, color slides of rental collections, minutes, exhibition files, and jury records. Access requires permission from the Women's Board president.

Biographical Historical Note

The Art Rental and Sales Gallery was operated in the Art Institute of Chicago by its Women’s Board between 1954 and 1986. Originally a rental service only, it soon expanded to sales, offering opportunities to purchase on approval inexpensive artworks in various mediums by artists of Chicago and vicinity.