You are here
School of the Art Institute of Chicago records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
80 linear feet of material consisting of publications, catalogs, and other material produced by the various departments of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, as well as student-produced publications and ephemera relating to student activities. Included are files of faculty and staff such as those of Dean Roger Gilmore.
Biographical Historical Note
The School of the Art institute traces its origin back to 1866 when the Chicago Academy of Design was founded. That artists' organization spawned the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts in 1879, an organization run by civic-minded businessmen whose purpose it was to maintain schools of art and design, to form and exhibit objects of art, and to cultivate and extend the arts of design by appropriate means. In 1882 the Academy's name was changed to the Art Institute of Chicago and the school operated by the Academy became the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.