Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art records

Inclusive Dates: 
1914–1945
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

1 linear foot of material documenting the activities of the Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art (Chicago), consisting of letters notifying artists that their work had been selected for purchase, biographical forms, and a list of works purchased.

Biographical Historical Note

The Chicago Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art was created by the Chicago City Council in 1914 at Harrison's behest. Its purpose was to support local artists by purchasing some of their paintings and sculptures, and then displaying these works in the public schools, city hall, and other municipal buildings of Chicago. The Commission purchased some 300 works of art before it was disbanded in 1945.

Additional Notes

Related collections: Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art Records, Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Municipal Reference Collection; Carter H. Harrison IV Papers, Newberry Library.