You are here
Antiquarian Society records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
9 linear feet of material documenting the activities of the Antiquarian Society of the Art Institute of Chicago, consisting of minutes, membership and financial papers, correspondence, documents involving the acquisition of artwork, and other items. Access requires permission from the Society's president
Biographical Historical Note
The Antiquarian Society was founded in 1877 as the Chicago Society of Decorative Arts to create an interest in decorative work of all kinds done by women. Since 1891 it has provided funds to purchase decorative arts objects for the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. The Society's name was changed in 1894 to the Antiquarians of the Art Institute and again in 1908 to the Antiquarian Society.