Skip to main content

Scott & Fowles artists' files, 1904-1946

Scott & Fowles (Firm)

Collection Information

Size: 2.5 Linear feet

Summary: The artists' files of commercial New York art gallery Scott & Fowles measure 2.5 linear feet and date from 1904 to 1946. The majority of the collection contains photographs of artwork, biographical writings on the artists, and notes regarding sales transactions, artwork descriptions, and history of the ownership of artworks by artists such as Augustus John, Peter Lely, and Thomas Rowlandson. Also included in smaller amounts are letters, financial records, and clippings.

Biographical/Historical Note

Scott & Fowles was a commercial art gallery in New York, N.Y. The gallery was in operation from approximately 1905 to 1943.

Provenance

The Scott & Fowles artists' files were donated to the Cincinnati Art Museum in 1980 by Mathilda Boelscher, a former employee of Scott & Fowles. The Cincinnati Art Museum donated the files to the Archives of American Art in 1981, through Pat Rutledge, librarian at the museum. Some files were removed by a curator at the Taft Museum in Cincinnati before being received by AAA.

Related Materials

Language Note

English .

Funding

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Smithsonian Women's Committee.