Size: 0.9 Linear feet
Summary: The Schneider-Gabriel Galleries records measure 0.9 linear feet and date from 1918 to 1953. The collection is comprised mostly of photographs of paintings that span the European and American continent, dating from the 13th century to the mid-20th century. The collection also includes correspondence relating to the sale, conservation, and legitimacy of the New York gallery's artwork; a folder of papers concerning the immigration of artist Grigory Gluckmann and his wife, Anna, to the United States in 1941; financial records comprised of scant bills, checks, and statements; the catalog draft from a Walter Pach exhibition; and correspondence, printed material, and provenance records concerning portraits of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart.
Schneider-Gabriel Galleries was an art gallery in New York, New York, started circa 1938 by art dealers Albert Schneider and Gilbert Gabriel. Before starting their own business, Schneider and Gabriel worked with John Levy of John Levy Galleries in New York in the 1920s. Schneider-Gabriel exhibited and dealt paintings, mostly portraits and landscapes, by well-known European artists from the 13th to 20th centuries as well as a number of American artists from the 19th and 20th centuries. Artists whose work was sold and exhibited by Schneider-Gabriel include Walter Pach, Winslow Homer, Alexander Canedo, Gilbert Stuart, Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, and among many others.
The collection was donated circa 1958 by the widow of Albert Schneider.
The processing of this collection received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care and Preservation Fund, administered by the National Collections Program and the Smithsonian Collections Advisory Committee.