You are here

B. F. Ferguson Monument Fund records

Inclusive Dates: 
1906–2000

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Approximately 6 linear feet of material consisting of minutes (1906–1931), financial papers, correspondence, and project files, which contain such materials as correspondence with sculptors, architects, contractors; contracts; sketches; scripts of speeches; programs of dedication ceremonies; clippings; and notes on inscriptions.

Biographical Historical Note

The B. F. Ferguson Monument Fund was established with funds bequeathed by Chicago lumber merchant and philanthropist Benjamin F. Ferguson, who died in 1905. Money from the fund is spent at the discretion of the Board of Trustees of the Art Institute of Chicago to erect and maintain public monuments in Chicago to commemorate individuals and historic events.

Additional Notes

Related collections: Wesley H. Greene Papers and Marie Zoe Greene-Mercier Papers, University of Chicago Library; Luis Kutner Papers and Leon M. Despres Papers, Chicago History Museum.