Size: 1.2 Linear feet
Summary: The Pierre Matisse Gallery printed material measures 1.2 linear feet and dates from 1936 to 1988. The collection consists of exhibition catalogs from group and solo shows held at the gallery, an offer for a limited edition Joan Miro album, and several books on artists.
The Pierre Matisse Gallery was founded in New York, New York, in 1931 by Pierre Matisse, youngest son of the French painter Henri Matisse. The gallery was located on the corner of Madison Avenue and fifty-seventh street in the Fuller Building, which had recently been built in the Art Deco style a few years prior. Matisse exhibited primarily European painters and sculptors, including Joan Miro, Marc Chagall, Jean Dubuffet, Yves Tanguy, Balthus, and some U.S. artists Leonora Carrington, Alexander Calder, and many more. The gallery closed in 1989 upon Pierre Matisse's death.
Records on reel NPM1 were lent for microfilming in 1967 by the Pierre Matisse Gallery. The unmicrofilmed materials were donated in 1996 by the Pierre Matisse Foundation.
The Pierpont Morgan Library is the primary repository in possession of the Pierre Matisse Gallery records. The Archives of American Art also holds microfilm of material lent for microfilming on reel NPM1. Included are catalogs of Pierre Matisse Gallery exhibitions, 1931-1945; photographs of exhibitions interspersed among the catalogs; and a scrapbook containing clippings and reviews of shows at the gallery. This material was returned to the lender and is not described in the collection container inventory.
The processing of this collection received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care and Preservation Fund, administered by the National Collections Program and the Smithsonian Collections Advisory Committee.