Skip to main content

Maynard Walker Gallery records, 1923-1975

Maynard Walker Gallery

Collection Information

Size: 6.3 Linear feet

Summary: The records of New York City's Maynard Walker Gallery measure 6.3 linear feet and date from 1923 to 1975. The collection comprises personal and professional correspondence; artist's files for Thomas Hart Benton, John Chumley, John Steuart Curry, Lily Cushing, Madeline Hewes, Walt Kuhn, Wayne Williams, Grant Wood, and others; exhibition and gallery files consisting of printed materials, exhibition scrapbooks, a file on Spanish painting, and files for the exhibition Other Worlds (1945); financial and sales records containing files for artist accounts, non-artist accounts, bills of sale, and inventory; and photographic materials for exhibitions, works of art, and the writer Henry James.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Maynard Walker Gallery was an art gallery in New York, New York, founded by Maynard Walker in 1935. Walker previously worked for the Ferargil Gallery in New York where he began his professional relationship with the artists John Steuart Curry, Thomas Hart Benton, and Grant Wood. In 1938, Walker opened another gallery in Hollywood, California. Walker was a primary promoter of the Regionalists during the 1930s and 1940s. Walker retired in 1967 and died in 1985.

Provenance

The Maynard Walker Gallery records were donated from 1974 to 1980 by Maynard Walker and in 1973 by the Frick Library on behalf of Maynard Walker. A portion of the collection was lent for microfilming and subsequently donated in 1976 by Maynard Walker.

Language Note

English .

Funding

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Smithsonian Women's Committee.