Size: 0.6 Linear feet
Summary: The Maxwell Galleries records measure 0.6 linear feet and date from 1943 to 1970. The collection contains exhibition announcements, catalogs, a membership card, newspaper clippings, and two scrapbooks.
Maxwell Galleries, Ltd. was started in San Francisco, California in 1940 by Fred Maxwell. The gallery specialized in 19th and 20th century American and European paintings as well as early California art. In 1973, Maxwell's nephew, Mark Hoffman, and his wife, Colleen, inherited Maxwell Galleries.
The collection was donated in 1981 by Marcus Hoffman, proprietor of the Gallery.
The processing of this collection received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care and Preservation Fund, administered by the National Collections Program and the Smithsonian Collections Advisory Committee.