Skip to main content

A Finding Aid to the Marion Sanford and Cornelia Chapin papers, 1929-1988 | Digitized Collection

Marion Sanford and Cornelia Chapin papers, 1929-1988

Sanford, Marion, 1904-1987

Sculptor, Illustrator

This site provides access to the papers of Marion Sanford and Cornelia Chapin in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2015, and total 3,415 images.

Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.

Collection Information

Size: 3.1 linear feet

Summary: The papers of sculptors Marion Sanford and Cornelia Chapin measure 3.1 linear feet and date from 1929-1988. Sanford and Chapin were close companions and shared a studio in New York City. The papers include scattered materials created by and about both women, including biographical materials, one folder of correspondence for each woman, a few writings and essays, news clippings, exhibition catalogs, other printed materials, and four scrapbooks (three about Chapin and one about Sanford). Photographs are of Chapin only and of artwork of both women. There is also one sound recording of a radio interview with Chapin and several motion picture films of Chapin's home movies transferred onto video, mostly of her time working in Paris.

Biographical/Historical Note

Marion Sanford (1904-1987) and Cornelia Chapin (1893-1972) were sculptors from Lakeville, Connecticut and New York, New York. Sanford was known for bronze portraits, bas-reliefs, and figures of women doing farm work or household chores. She was an active exhibitor at the National Academy of Design. Chapin was a direct carver specializing in animals. She worked in Paris during the 1930s. In the late 1930s, Chapin and Sanford became companions, and shared the former studio of Gutzon Borglum.

Provenance

A portion of the Marion Sanford and Cornelia Chapin papers were donated by Marion Sanford in 1974. Additional materials were donated by Sanford's caretaker, Brenda Brenwell-Lejeune, in 1999.

Related Materials

Funding

Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.