Skip to main content

A Finding Aid to the Marcel Breuer papers, 1920-1986 | Digitized Collection

Marcel Breuer papers, 1920-1986

Breuer, Marcel, 1902-1981

Designer, Architect

The papers of Marcel Breuer in the Archives of American Art were digitized in 2005 from 32 reels of microfilm, totaling 42,724 images.

The microfilm for this collection was digitized in 2006 as part of the Terra Foundation for American Art Digitization Grant.

Collection Information

Size: 37.6 linear ft.

Summary: The Marcel Breuer papers span the years 1920 to 1986 and measure 37.6 linear feet. They consist of biographical material, correspondence, business and financial records, interviews, notes, writings, sketches, project files, exhibition files, photographs, and printed material that document Breuer's career as an architect and designer. This material reflects the prolificacy and diversity of his creations, from tubular steel chairs to private residences, college campuses, factories, department stores, and international, municipal, and corporate headquarters and complexes.

Biographical/Historical Note

Marcel Breuer (1902-1981) was an architect and designer from New York, N.Y. Born in Pecs, Hungary. Breuer received a master's degree from the Bauhaus in 1924. During the following year, he became a Bauhaus instructor and designed his first tubular steel chair. At the invitation of Walter Gropius, Breuer joined the faculty of Harvard University in 1937. He left Harvard in 1946 and established an architectural office in New York City. His reputation was enhanced in 1953, when he was commissioned to participate in the design of the U.N.E.S.C.O. Headquarters in Paris. During the following 20 years, Breuer's firm worked on many diverse projects ranging from private residences to government buildings. Due to ill health, Breuer retired in 1976.

Provenance

Donated 1985-1999 by Constance Breuer, widow of Marcel Breuer.

Related Materials

Presentation book for IBM La Gaude is in: Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris.

Funding

The microfilm for this collection was digitized in 2006 as part of the Terra Foundation for American Art Digitization Grant.