Skip to main content

A Finding Aid to the Macbeth Gallery records, 1838-1968, bulk 1892-1953 | Digitized Collection

Macbeth Gallery records, 1838-1968, bulk 1892-1953

Macbeth Gallery

Representative image for Macbeth Gallery records, 1838-1968, bulk 1892-1953

Portions of the collection have been digitized and are available on the Archives of American Art's website, including: Series 1.1: Correspondence, Boxes 1-26; Series 2: Financial and Shipping Records; Series 3: Inventory Records; Series 4: Printed Materials, including Art Notes (the complete run of The Crayon in Series 4.2 is available at https://www.jstor.org/journal/crayon); and Series 5: Scrapbooks. Digitization of the collection is ongoing and will be made available incrementally.

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Getty Grant Program. Digitization of the scrapbooks was supported by a grant from the Smithsonian Institution Women's Committee. Correspondence, financial and shipping records, inventory records, and printed material were digitized with funding provided by the Mr. and Mrs. Raymond J. Horowitz Foundation for the Arts, the Terra Foundation for American Art and the Walton Family Foundation.

Collection Information

Size: 131.5 linear feet

Summary: The Macbeth Gallery records provide almost complete coverage of the gallery's operations from its inception in 1892 to its closing in 1953. The records document all aspects of the gallery's activities, charting William Macbeth's initial intention to lease his store "for the permanent exhibition and sale of American pictures" through over sixty years of success as a major New York firm devoted to American art. The collection measures 132.2 linear feet and dates from 1838 to 1968 with the bulk of the material dating from 1892 to 1953.

Biographical/Historical Note

Macbeth Gallery (founded 1892) is an art gallery from New York, N.Y. Founded in 1892 by William Macbeth in New York City, the first gallery at that time to deal solely in American art. The most famous of Macbeth's exhibitions was that of The Eight, in 1908. Robert Macbeth, the son of William Macbeth, joined the firm in 1909 and became president in 1917. He established the Gallery as one of the leading firms in New York. Robert McIntyre, nephew of William Macbeth, joined the firm in 1903 and became president of the gallery on the death of his cousin Robert in 1940. He closed the Gallery in 1953.

Provenance

The bulk of the Macbeth Gallery records were donated between 1955 and 1966 by Robert G. McIntyre and Estate. Additional printed material was donated by Phoebe C. and William Macbeth II, grandchildren of William Macbeth, in 1974.

Related Materials

An extensive collection of Macbeth Gallery exhibition catalogs are also held by the Frick Art Reference Library and the Watson Library of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Funding

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Getty Grant Program. Digitization of the scrapbooks was supported by a grant from the Smithsonian Institution Women's Committee. Correspondence, financial and shipping records, inventory records, and printed material were digitized with funding provided by the Mr. and Mrs. Raymond J. Horowitz Foundation for the Arts, the Terra Foundation for American Art and the Walton Family Foundation.