Skip to main content

Kathleen Ewing Gallery records, 1946-2009, bulk 1975-2009

Kathleen Ewing Gallery records, 1946-2009, bulk 1975-2009

Kathleen Ewing Gallery

Collection Information

Size: 3.8 linear feet

Biographical/Historical Note

The Kathleen Ewing Gallery (established 1976-closed 2009) was a gallery in Washington, D.C. that primarily exhibited local photographers. Kathleen Ewing owned and operated the gallery.

Provenance

The collection was donated in 2015 by Kathleen Ewing, gallery director.

Scope and Contents

The records of Kathleen Ewing Gallery, a Washington, D.C., gallery that specialized in the work of photographers, measure 3.8 linear feet and date from 1946 to 2009, with the bulk of the papers dating from 1975 to 2009. Artists' files make up the bulk of the collection and include exhibition planning documents, correspondence, price lists, publicity, artist statements, and photographs of artwork. Also found are one file of gallery history, two letters, and printed material. Printed material consists of press clippings and a complete set of gallery exhibition announcements.

Artists documented within the artists' files include Sam Abell, Allen Appel, Esther Bubley, Frank Di Perna, Macduff Everton, Adriel Heisey, Len Jenshel and Diane Cook, Frank Lavelle, Stephen Lawson, Alex MacLean, Bruce McKaig, Mark Power, Rosamond Purcell, Claudia Smigrod, Steve Szabo, and Claudio Vazquez among many others.

Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center.

  • No downloads available