Skip to main content

John Bolles Gallery records, 1958-1975

John Bolles Gallery (San Francisco, Calif.)

Overview

Collection Information

Size: 22 Linear feet

Summary: The John Bolles Gallery records measure 22.0 linear feet and date from 1958-1975. Included are financial records, administrative records, collection records, correspondence, photographs, artwork and printed material.

Biographical/Historical Note

The John Bolles Gallery was a commercial gallery established in 1958 by John Bolles, Chairman of the Board, San Francisco Art Institute. The gallery's original mission was to provide an outlet for students and alumni of the Art Institute. Directors included Grace McCann Morley, Dick Faralla, Phil Lieder, Jim Monte, Harriet Johns, and Hayward King. The Gallery closed February 1975.

Provenance

The bulk of the collection was donated in 1975 by John S. Bolles. Additional material donated in 1997 by Bolles' daughter, Jane Bolles Grimm and in 2021 by Tom Bolles, John Bolles' son.

Language Note

English .

How to Use This Collection

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research. Access to original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C. Research Center.

Restrictions on Use

The Archives of American Art makes its archival collections available for non-commercial, educational and personal use unless restricted by copyright and/or donor restrictions, including but not limited to access and publication restrictions. AAA makes no representations concerning such rights and restrictions and it is the user's responsibility to determine whether rights or restrictions exist and to obtain any necessary permission to access, use, reproduce and publish the collections. Please refer to the Smithsonian's Terms of Use for additional information.

How to Cite This Collection

John Bolles Gallery records, 1958-1975. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.