Size: 2.8 Linear feet
Summary: The records of Detroit's J.L. Hudson Gallery measure 2.8 linear feet and date from 1958 to 1973. The collection comprises administrative records consisting of card files, early gallery records, and a few other administrative files; correspondence with artists and galleries; artist files for Romare Bearden, Childe Hassam, Isamu Noguchi, and others; exhibition files for the gallery's first exhibition, The W.R. Valentiner Memorial Exhibition (1963-1964), and several other exhibitions held at the gallery; client files documenting business transactions with numerous organizations, galleries, and art schools; and printed materials consisting of exhibition catalogs, announcements, and posters for J.L. Hudson Gallery and other galleries.
The J.L. Hudson Gallery (est. 1963-1974) was a commercial art gallery in Detroit, Michigan. The gallery was founded in 1963 by Joseph L. Hudson, the president of the Detroit based J. L. Hudson Company, who had an interest in bringing high quality art to Detroit. Albert Landry, who had previously owned a gallery in New York, was hired as the gallery's first director. The gallery, located in the downtown branch of Hudson's, opened on November 18, 1963 with an exhibition of the W. R. Valentiner Collection. Although the gallery had some exhibitions which included 18th and 19th century art, it concentrated primarily on the 20th century, bringing the work of the best contemporary artists to Detroit. Oscar Piagentini succeeded Landry as gallery director in 1967. The gallery closed in 1974.
The J.L. Hudson Gallery records were donated by former gallery director, Joy Emery, as a representative for the J.L. Hudson company in its donation of the material.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Smithsonian Women's Committee.