Skip to main content

Oral history interview with Mary Van Meter, 1971 November 9

Van Meter, Mary, 1919-

Arts administrator


Collection Information

Size: 1 sound file : digital, wav file

Format: Originally recorded on 1 tape reel. Reformatted in 2010 as 1 digital wav file. Duration is 28 min.

Summary: An interview of Mary Van Meter conducted 1971 November 9, by Joyce Tyler, for the Archives of American Art.

Van Meter discusses the Boston Center for the Arts, including the history of its buildings and its development as an institution.

Biographical/Historical Note

Mary Van Meter (1923-2008) served as historical consultant for the Boston Center for the Arts.


This interview is part of the Archives' Oral History Program, started in 1958 to document the history of the visual arts in the United States, primarily through interviews with artists, historians, dealers, critics and others.


Funding for the digital preservation of this interview was provided by a grant from the Save America's Treasures Program of the National Park Service.

How to Use This Collection

For information on how to access this interview contact Reference Services.

Quotes and excerpts must be cited as follows: Oral history interview with Mary Van Meter, 1971 November 9. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.