Size: 1.4 Linear feet
Summary: Included are Glendenning's designs and templates for trays and dishes for Leah Curtiss (Leah Curtiss-Gould); and a book of illustrated twentieth century American silver flatware patterns.
Glendenning was a silversmith in the Gardner, Mass. workshop of Arthur J. Stone (later Stone Silver Shop and Stone Associates), beginning as a helper in 1913, an apprentice in 1920, and as workman until 1936 when he left to form a partnership with George C. Erickson, another Stone workman. He attained the Master Craftsman rank of the Society of Arts and Crafts, Boston, 1927. Stone's workshop derived its classic approach to silver design and and its emphasis on traditional techniques from founder Arthur J. Stone, who had a traditional English silversmithing background prior to coming to the U.S. in 1884. After working for various silver manufacturers, Stone set up his own workshop at 17 Winter St., Gardner, Massachusetts in 1901. He established himself as a leading designer and silversmith, and was one of the last in America to train apprentices and craftsmen to render designs in handwrought silver. Glendenning ended his partnership with Erickson in 1971, and opened his own shop. In 1975 he moved to Westminster, Mass. where he made jewelry and special orders for silverware. He retired from silversmithing in 1985.
Donated 1983 by Herman Glendenning and in 1997 by his daughter, Mrs. Lloyd Loop, Saugerties, N.Y. Ca. 1 ft. of rthur J. Stone workshop records which were given to him by Elizabeth Bent Stone (Mrs. Arthur J. Stone) were placed with Arthur J. Stone workshop/Stone Silver Shop/Stone Associates records.