Skip to main content

Henri Gallery records, circa early 1900s, bulk 1957-1995

Historical Note

In 1957, Henrietta Ehrsam, known as "Henri," opened her eponymous gallery on South Royal Street in Alexandria, Virginia. Earlier, Henri and her partner Florie King had sold clothing, antiques, accessories and decorative arts alongside works of art at their consignment shop "Not New" in the same location.
In the 1960s, Henri showed painters Gene Davis, Thomas Downing, and Howard Mehring of the Washington Color School. In the summer of 1967, Henri Gallery moved to 1500 21st Street NW, closer to the Dupont Circle art galleries in Washington, D.C. Henri showed many young and emerging artists, including Cynthia Bickley-Green, William Christenberry, Mary Beth Edelson, Ed McGowin, and Robert Stackhouse. In 1970, Henri opened a second location, Henri 2, at 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW to exhibit large scale works. In 1972, Henri 2 held Martin Puryear's first solo exhibition in the United States. Henri passed away in 1996 and both gallery locations closed shortly thereafter.