Skip to main content

Grand Central Art Galleries records, 1931-1968, bulk circa 1952-circa 1965

Historical Note

Grand Central Art Galleries (1923-1994) was a large New York-based art gallery, which also had a modern art division called Grand Central Moderns (1947-circa 1967).
The Grand Central Art Galleries was founded in 1923 and operated as the exhibition space of the Painters and Sculptors Gallery Association in New York City. Grand Central Art Galleries was located at Grand Central Terminal for nearly 30 years before moving on to the Biltmore Hotel at 40 Vanderbilt Avenue, then relocating to 24 West 57th Street. The Galleries regularly exhibited the works of its members and sometimes boasted as many as thirty to forty exhibitions annually.
From its establishment in 1923, Edwin S. Barrie was the director of Grand Central Art Galleries and he founded Grand Central Moderns in 1947, which he also managed until the early 1950s. The gallery moved from one address to another before ultimately relocating to 130 East 56th Street. Colette Roberts was the curator and she took over as director in 1952 until roughly 1965, about two years before Grand Central Moderns closed. Byron Browne, Kenneth Campbell, Lamar Dodd, Xavier Gonzalez, George Morrison and Louise Nevelson were a few of the artists represented by the gallery.
Erwin S. Barrie retired from his position as director of Grand Central Art Galleries in 1975. The gallery closed in 1994.