Skip to main content

More Information | A Finding Aid to the George Grey Barnard papers, circa 1860-1969, bulk 1880-1938 | Digitized Collection

George Grey Barnard papers, circa 1860-1969, bulk 1880-1938

More Information

A Finding Aid to the George Grey Barnard Papers, circa 1860-1969, bulk 1880-1938, in the Archives of American Art
AAA.barngeor
Finding aid prepared by Kathleen Brown
Scope and Contents
The papers of New York sculptor, collector, and dealer George Grey Barnard measure 13.6 linear feet and date from 1860 to 1969, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1880-1938. These papers document his life and work as an artist, as well as his activities as a collector and dealer of medieval art, through correspondence, collecting notebooks, diaries and daily journals, ephemera, inventories, business and financial records, exhibition catalogs, newspaper clippings, reference materials, publications, photographs, and a small number of sketches.
Language
English
Provenance
The bulk of the George Grey Barnard papers was transferred from the Smithsonian American Art Museum (formerly the National Collection of Fine Arts) in 1975 and 2003, where it had been given by the artist's son Monroe in 1970. In 1971, Monroe Barnard donated additional papers. In 1976, the Pennsylvania State University Archives donated 2.0 linear feet of papers.
Related Archival Materials note
Additional George Grey Barnard papers are available at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
In 1985 the museum loaned approximately 4.0 linear feet of correspondence, exhibition files, and sketches to the Archives for microfilming on reels 3658-3664.
Funding
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
Processing Information
Select records, primarily correspondence and photographs of Barnard's sculptures were microfilmed on reels 118 and 1116; these reels are no longer in circulation. The entire collection was fully processed, arranged, and described by Kathleen Brown in 2009 and scanned in 2012 with funding provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
Processing of glass plate negatives and lantern slides was completed in 2014 by Anna Rimel with funding provided by the Smithsonian Collections Care and Preservation Fund.