The Fine Arts Federation of New York was established in 1895 "to ensure united action by the Art Societies of New York in all matters affecting their common interests; and to foster and protect the artistic interests of the community."
A consortium of New York City arts and architecture organizations, the F.A.F. has been responsible for saving historic buildings, promoting the arts, and providing a vision of the city's architectural future. The F.A.F. also provided delegate nominations to the New York City mayor for the Art Commission, a panel of architects and artists who reviewed proposed development to public property.
Presidents and other officers of the F.A.F. included Joseph H. Freedlander (1935-1937), A. F. Brinckerhoff (1937-1939), James C. Mackenzie (1940-1941), Wheeler William (1943, 1946-1948), Howard Greenley (Vice President, 1943-1944), Charles Downing Lay (Acting President, 1945), Richard Bach (1948-1950), Harvey Stevenson (1950-1951?), Giorgio Cavaglieri (1971-1974; 2001-2002), Margot Gayle (1974-1977), Nanne Wollmann (1992?-1994?), Roy Gussow (1996?-1997), and Lorrie Goulet (1997-2001), among others.
For many years in the mid-20th century, the Fine Arts Federation was located in the Architectural League of New York building on East 40th Street.