Skip to main content

A Finding Aid to the Exhibition records of the Contemporary Wing of the Finch College Museum of Art, 1943-1975 | Digitized Collection

Exhibition records of the Contemporary Wing of the Finch College Museum of Art, 1943-1975

Finch College. Museum of Art

This site provides access to the papers of Finch College. Museum of Art in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2018, and total 31,303 images.

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources' Hidden Collections grant program. Funding for the digitization of two motion picture films was provided by the Smithsonian Women's Committee, and for the remaining sound and video recordings from the Smithsonian's Collection Care Pool Fund. Funding for the digitization of the collection, not including audiovisual materials, was p

Collection Information

Size: 20.7 linear ft.

Summary: The exhibition records of the Contemporary Study Wing of the Finch College Museum of Art measure 20.7 linear feet and date from 1943 to 1975, with the bulk of records dating from the period its galleries were in operation, from 1964 to 1975. Over two-thirds of the collection consists of exhibition files, which contain a wide range of documentation including artist files, checklists, correspondence, writings, photographs, interviews, numerous films and videos, artist statements, printed materials, and other records. Also found within the collection are administrative records of the museum, artist files, and papers of the Contemporary Wing's director and curator, Elayne Varian, which were produced outside of her work at Finch College.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Contemporary Study Wing of the Finch College Museum of Art, later called simply the "Contemporary Wing," was established in 1964 by the president of Finch College, Roland De Marco, as an extension the Finch College Museum of Art in New York City. It operated until 1975, when increased costs and a lack of an endowment forced the entire institution to close permanently.

Provenance

The Archives of American Art acquired these records after the Finch College Museum of Art closed permanently in June 1975.

Related Materials

Funding

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources' Hidden Collections grant program. Funding for the digitization of two motion picture films was provided by the Smithsonian Women's Committee, and for the remaining sound and video recordings from the Smithsonian's Collection Care Pool Fund. Funding for the digitization of the collection, not including audiovisual materials, was p