Skip to main content

Charles J. Connick papers, 1901-1949

Charles J. Connick papers, 1901-1949

Connick, Charles J., 1875-1945

Stained glass artist

Collection Information

Size: 9.3 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 4 reels)

Summary: Biographical materials, correspondence, notebooks, diaries, writings, sketches and drawings, photographs, and printed material.

Biographical/Historical Note

Stained glass artist; Boston, Mass. Opened Charles J. Connick Studios, Boston, Mass. in 1913. Revived techniques and designs of English and French designers of the Middle Ages. He worked primarily in ecclesiastical designs. He married Mabel Robinson Coombs in 1920. After his death in 1945, the firm was headed by Orin Skinner, and renamed Charles J. Connick Associates.

Provenance

Material on reel 983 was lent for microfilming August 1975 by Evelyn Coombs Pennegar, sister of Mabel Coombs Connick, wife of Charles Connick. In February 1977 she donated additional papers which were filmed on reels 3947-3948. The 12 items on reel 2802 were donated by Connick's successor at Charles J. Connick Associates, Orin E. Skinner. The unmicrofilmed material was donated by Richard B. Coombs, nephew of Mabel, August - December 1985.

Related Materials

Charles J. Connick Studios (later Associates) records located at: Boston Public Library.

Location of Originals

  • Reel 983: Originals returned to the lender after microfilming.

Additional Forms Available

Microfilm reels 983, 2802, 3947-3948 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.

Restrictions on Access

Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.

How to Cite This Collection

Charles J. Connick papers, 1901-1949. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.