Size: 4 Linear feet
Summary: The records of Chaloner Prize Foundation measure 4.0 linear feet and date from 1915 to 1974. The records consist of the files of the two Secretaries, George F. Lewis and S. LeRoy French, and four of the Trustees, Charles Platt, William Rand, Olin Dows, and William Platt. Included within these records are correspondence, lists, files on award recipients, and three scrapbooks maintained by Dows. Also found within the collection are legal records, printed material, and financial records.
The Chaloner Prize Foundation was founded in 1890 by John Armstrong Chaloner in New York, NY, for the purpose of granting awards to individual artists for study of art in Paris. Initially known as the "Paris Prize Fund," held by the United States Trust Company of New York, the fund relied on contributions from art patrons such as Henry and Arthur Astor Carey. Due to personal troubles Chaloner could not manage the account and passed power of attorney to others. By 1917 the Trust had made only two grants. That year Chaloner brough suit against Bankers Trust Company and "others" in order to incorporate the foundation. The subsequent legal judgement by the New York State Supreme Court created the grant-administering institution.
The collection was donated in 1982 by the American Academy in Rome, along with their records. During the processing of the Academy's records, it was determined that the Chaloner Prize Foundation records were a separate entity, and the collection was separated from the Academy records.
Also available at the Archives of American Art are the American Academy in Rome Records, 1855-circa 1981.