Skip to main content

Center for Creative Studies records, 1906-1982

Center for Creative Studies records, 1906-1982

Center for Creative Studies

Collection Information

Size: 6.5 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 4 reels)

Summary: Historical information; reports; correspondence; financial records; scrapbooks; photographs and albums.

REELS D280-D282: Historical information; annual reports; minutes of meetings; correspondence; enrollment records; financial statements; scrapbooks, 1904-1943; photographs of the Society's building; and publications. Total: 5.2 linear feet

UNMICROFILMED Additions: Annual reports, photographs, negatives, and photograph albums.

Biographical/Historical Note

Art society and school; Detroit, Michigan. Formerly Society of Arts and Crafts. Founded in 1906 and incorporated in 1915. The Art School of the Society of Arts and Crafts was established in 1926. In 1975 the organization changed its name to the Center for Creative Studies - College of Art and Design. And in 2001, it changed it's name to the College for Creative Studies.

Provenance

Material on reel 3250 lent for microfilming 1984, and unmicrofilmed material donated 1965 and 1984 by Center for Creative Studies.

Related Materials

Also in the Archives is material lent for microfilming, including five scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings regarding art and artists in Detroit (microfilm reel 3250).

Microfilm reels D280-D282 and 3250 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.

Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.