Scope and Contents
The Argus Gallery records measure 8.6 linear feet and date from 1927 to 1990, with the bulk of the records dating from 1960 to 1974. The collection sheds light on the gallery's operations through administrative files, artist files, exhibition files, printed material, and photographs.
Administrative files include papers related to gallery finances, other art organizations and institutions, the gallery's board of directors, several print workshops, and an artists program at Farleigh Dickinson University.
Artist files include biographical summaries, correspondence, exhibition ephemera, newspaper clippings, photographs, price lists, and inventories. Papers concerning exhibitions at the gallery consist of correspondence with donors, artists, and other institutions, mailing lists, publicity material, price lists, and photographic material.
Printed material consists of exhibition announcements and catalogs, newsletters and mailings published by the Argus Gallery and others, newspaper clippings and articles on the Argus gallery, its exhibitions, and other art-related topics, and three Argus Gallery scrapbooks of photographs, exhibition ephemera, and clippings.
Photographs includes snapshots and transparencies of the interior of the gallery, classes offered at the gallery, and mixed images of artists, artwork, and gallery shows.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated in 1993 by Edward and Verdenal Johnson and in 2002 by Verdenal Johnson.
The processing of this collection received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care and Preservation Fund, administered by the National Collections Program and the Smithsonian Collections Advisory Committee.
The collection was processed and a finding aid prepared by Christopher DeMairo in 2021.