Size: 8.6 Linear feet
Summary: The Argus Gallery records measure 8.6 linear feet and date from 1927 to 1990, with the bulk of the records dating from 1960 to 1974. The collection sheds light on the gallery's operations through administrative files, artist files, exhibition files, printed material, and photographs.
The Argus Gallery was founded in Madison, New Jersey, in 1961 by Verdenal and Edward Johnson and E. Austin Goodwin. The gallery exhibited primarily contemporary artists, with several shows featuring nineteenth century artists, most notably from Maine and New Jersey.
The collection was donated in 1993 by Edward and Verdenal Johnson and in 2002 by Verdenal Johnson.
The processing of this collection received Federal support from the Smithsonian Collections Care and Preservation Fund, administered by the National Collections Program and the Smithsonian Collections Advisory Committee.