Jervis McEntee Diaries

Tuesday September 9, 1890

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, September 9, 1890, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Tuesday, Sept 9, 1890 A letter from Church. Lewis is to go with us. I wrote him all about meeting us in Boston next Tuesday. Alice wants us to come Saturday but Sara has written her that it is impossible. Wrote Royal to get a guide and a canoe for Lewis and telling him we would be there Wednesday. My things went to Matta. by Express today. 5 pieces. I sent check to Bowyer for $10 to get me two tourists beds and have them sent to me at Matta as his camp bed is not entirely successful. Also wrote Wilkinson we could not accept as we were just about going away. A note from Dr. Hunt from Otsego saying he will be there until the 17th. I was going to N.Y. to see him tomorrow. Now I will not go and wrote Fred Norton that I would not come. My eye is no better and my head is confused by it but I hope the Maine woods will help me. Went to Kingston to attend the meeting of the Citizens Committee on the monument. Not many there. The Grand Army men had most to say. They objected to the anniversary of the burning of Kingston and finally decided on Oct. 22 for the dedication. G. D. B. Hasbrouck, Linson & others spoke briefly. After a long and rambling talk it was finally left to a committee to make all arrangements, consisting of the commanders of Grant & Pratt posts, the Mayor, the chairman of the board of Supervisors, the Chairman of the Citizens committee, the Com. of Supervisors, with power to add there to and the meeting adjourned.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >