Jervis McEntee Diaries

Wednesday July 16, 1890

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, July 16, 1890, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Wednesday, July 16, 1890 I went to N.Y. yesterday, by the noon train after having telegraphed Calvert to meet me at his house at 4. I arrived there a little before that time and found him awaiting me. I attempted to state Sams proposition of buying the half of the terrace lots etc which he would not understand and it rather vexed and irritated him, but after talking until near 6 we both concluded to decline the idea. He said he did not want to go to dine with Sam as he did not want to talk about that and altogether seemed worried over his own affairs. Mary and Marion were at Yonkers where he had expected to go. So I hurried up to the Gilroy house and got there late and hot and [flurried?] as it was very hot in N.Y. Sam and I dined together and immediately began on the subject. He now proposed to buy my place and what is left of this place up to the house (4 front lots etc) and the two lots on Chestnut St. next to Lindsleys place. I asked $25,000, he offered $22,000 and we talked and talked and finally went to his room and in all our talk he would give no more. I did not accept, nor did I decline, but told him I would have to consult the others and if Calvert could come we would all meet at our house, on Sunday, but I could not be sure about Calvert as he was very busy and getting ready to go to England for a trip. I went back to 18th St. and Calvert and I talked over the matter until 11 oclock and we finally concluded it would not be wise to decline his offer and if he acquiesced then Calvert would come up, but he did not want an interview with Sam except to discuss a definite proposition, which I do not, I confess, see the wisdom of. I breakfasted with him and he seemed to feel clearer and better and I came home in the day boat. It has been a very hot day but the sail up the river was delightful. There were a great many people on board and fully 200 landed at Rhinebeck to go up to the mountains. As I was hurrying on board a very pretty young lady spoke to me but I did not recognise her and she saw I did not. It was Mrs. Hiram Romeyn's sister. She was waiting for some friends with whom she was going on an excursion to West Point and feared they would be left, but I reassured her by telling her they had nearly half an hour yet. I got her ticket and went on board thinking I would see her later, but Iooked all over the boat afterward and could not find her in the crowd. I went to see John to tell him I would go down there this evening to report, but he drove up here instead on his way to supper. I showed him the map, reported my interviews with Calvert and with Sam and he figured up the value of what would remain on our, lowest estimates at the time of the auction. The result is that he thinks decidedly that we should accept Sams offer. I have written to Calvert and as John acquiesces, he will probably come up Saturday. I have also sent a note to Sam to come up Sunday afternoon. Mr. Wm. B. Fitch died on Monday evening. Sam told me of it in N.Y.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >