Jervis McEntee Diaries

Sunday July 13, 1890

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, July 13, 1890, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Sunday, July 13, 1890 Girard went fishing yesterday with Dewey and Ike North. Nothing was said about the Cornell-Coykendall trouble. Girard told me that after he got home Sam and his two sons passed down Chestnut St. looking pretty carefully at the lay of the land but did not say anything to him. I am still confident he is planning to get this place and propose to watch and wait. It is cool this morning with a prospect of rain. I wrote to Church telling him I would go up Friday on the day boat to see him and return next day. Sam and his two boys Tom and Harry came up after dinner and Sam soon called me out on the hill and began talking about buying the place. He partially acknowledged he had to do something and that at last he had got his wife to consent to consider the matter. He proposes now to buy my place and a part of the homestead from Deweys lot up to and including the four front lots between here and my house. We went all over it and discussed the matter from all points, the boys finally joining us and the result is that I am to make a diagram and go to his office tomorrow morning after 8 o'clock to discuss the price I presume. Whether this is a move to intimidate the Cornell side or not I do not know. Tom told Sara that he had been to talk with Joe's grandmother and he says they wont get the place, that his father and they have always wanted this place and that two or three times he has been on the point of buying it but his mother has begged him to wait a little with the certainty that they would have that place. They were here at least two hours. Just after they left John Van Elten came and asked me how much I would require to be paid down if he took the lot. I asked him how much he wanted to pay and he said a thousand dollars. I told him that would do or less if he wished but that I could not sell to him just yet as I was negotiating for the sale of the whole place. I am to let him know in a short time. I told him that if I could not sell then perhaps I could sell a lot to him beyond the house. This will be a legitimate weapon for me to use with Sam to come to some decision soon.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >