Jervis McEntee Diaries

Thursday February 6, 1890

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, February 6, 1890, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Thursday, Feb 6, 1890 [McEntee mistakenly writes "Jan 6"] Cold this morning and though bright has been cold all day. Directly after breakfast I went up to the Academy to see the water colors and staid there nearly two hours. Abbeys fine picture is sold as it justly deserves to be, a picture of two girls who have just arrived on the terrace of an English Country house and the old butler is going off to announce them. To my mind it is the gem of the exhibition. One of Woods pictures is sold and several of Walter Satterlees. My little picture is not sold. It is too sombre a subject for the multitude. From there I went to the studio of Buberle who is doing a figure of a sailor for the Kingston Soldiers and Sailors monument, to see his sketch. The place small like a stable and he was a heavy looking German. After a little he asked me if I were Mr. McEntee and seemed to know me as an artist. I dont like his figures but they seem to be popular and Sharpe thinks them great. His sailor did not impress me but I am not going to say any thing derogatory. There is no use. Went to the bank and deposited the $150 Mr. Hoysradt paid me and shortly after I reached my room Mr. [Donley?] the agent of the Studio Building called with my bill for rent to Feb. $175 which I paid. He told me Mrs. Cassidy would have to go in the spring and that he had secured a capable woman. He proposes to make a charge for the care of the rooms--such a room as mine $36 a year. I am not so sure this will be best but am willing to try it. I spoke to him again about a fire escape and from what he said I have little idea he will do anything about it this winter. I told him I would not sleep here another winter without proper fire escapes. Went to Dr. Patchins as I supposed for the last time but he is willing to let me make up the days I lost and I think I shall go until Saturday. I paid him today for my months treatment $50. I cant help spending money although I have not made one cent in more than a year. I am drawing on the money I have furnished my fathers estate and I am afraid it will all be gone. I called at the N. Y. Hospital today to see Conant. He is able to walk about and is going home tomorrow. This evening I received a note from Fred Norton saying he wanted to be a member of the Century and asking me to propose him. There is no getting around this. I have just got Robert Wilkinson in who I proposed about two years ago and I was in hopes I would not be obliged to propose any one else very soon.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >