Jervis McEntee Diaries

Tuesday February 18, 1890

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, February 18, 1890, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Tuesday, Feb 18, 1890 Foggy and close. I felt very weak and could hardly get up to my room. After breakfast went out and got a pair of pantaloons for Jamie and sent them to Girard by express. The weather came off warm and bright. Went up to Reichardts to see Winslow Homers water color sketches fly fishing etc. Very bold, rigorous and clever. Had a letter from Mrs. Whittredge telling me how ill Whittredge has been. I wrote to her at once. Painted a little on my picture and at 3:30 Wood and I went up to the Academy to attend a meeting of the Academicians to ratify the purchase of a house and lot on 23rd Street adjoining the one we now own which will give us 38 ft in addition to the Academy building, the price for the 18 ft. 47,750. There was a large attendance, about 50 and the action of the Council in getting the refusal was unanimously approved. It only took a few minutes as we were all agreed. I went down to the house and met Mary by appointment when we went down to the 14th St. to select a present for Lucys silver wedding which occurs on the 25th. After going to several places we finally decided on a candelabrum at Reed & Bartons for $18 which they are to mark and send tomorrow. We also bought 2 lbs wax candles and this with the express cost 21.70. It grew colder toward evening. Bowyer and Agnes dined with us. Calvert and I went to the Century where Lockwood DeForest showed on a screen photographs of Indian Architecture, and there were also some views of the Paris Exposition, all under the supervision of the Amateur photographer society. Sat with Eastman at supper who had under his care a Mr. Sheldon of Vermont to whom he introduced me. We talked of the abandoned farms of Vermont and Eastman was very amusing upon the bringing up of daughters.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >