Jervis McEntee Diaries

Sunday September 22, 1889

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, September 22, 1889, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Sunday, Sept 22, 1889 A splendid brilliant day, with a good breeze from N. W. and decidedly autumnal. We have sat in the parlor all day with a nice fire in the Franklin and Girards children have been over here a part of the day. I have been busy getting my things together and putting them in my trunk. I saw by the paper today that Booth and Barrett went to Louisville yesterday. I hope Booth signed the releases before he went as it will seriously interfere with all my plans for the purchasers of lots are to pay up on Thursday and they will not if I do not have the releases. Sara and I are considering the feasibility and wisdom of buying this place. I would like to if I were sure of selling mine. I am in great doubt as to what I ought to do and sometimes I think it will be best to let matters take their natural course and meanwhile made no arrangements or plans which cannot easily be given up. At breakfast this morning Sara and I talked of Gertrude and our mother and of how different our whole life is without them. How little we imagined a few years ago that we would be left here alone. Looking at the portrait of a lady in my book called "Art Gems" Sara said "Gertrude would have made quite as striking a picture["] and she said the whole air and bearing of the figure reminded her of Gertrude. I have often thought so myself and I can see that my love for Gertrude did not exaggerate in my eyes her grace and charm of person and manner. Indeed she was in every respect one of the most winning and charming of women. Several people have been up on the hill today and Capt. Van Kewen and two or three others were in the garden looking at the lots he so foolishly failed to secure. If it were left to my decision I would not let them have them now for less than a thousand dollars each. We gave them an opportunity to buy them at 20 p. ct. below what we considered them worth. They made a combination to get them for less by which we lost at least four hundred dollars on Crosbys lots who was ready to pay $1000 each, and now I am decidedly of opinion that it is weak to sell them at our low upset price. Sadie Crosby called on us just as our dinner was ready. We tried to have her stay to dinner but she declined. I wrote to Eastman today. Tonight it is still and I fear we will have frost.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >