Jervis McEntee Diaries

Wednesday October 16, 1889

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, October 16, 1889, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Wednesday, Oct 16, 1889 I did not close my eyes until after midnight. The wind had gone down and the moon came up and it was a perfectly still night. In the middle of the night a fox came near the camp and barked for some time. We were up at day break. Cold and the wind blowing from N. W. Later the wind lulled and we broke camp and started down to the S. end of [P?] Island and finding Pemadumcook comparatively quiet we pushed across to the brook coming from Joe Merry lake which is near a small island a little N. of opposite [P?] Island. We were 30 minutes crossing and the wind began to increase by the time we got over. We pushed on up Joe Merry stream finding rough waters much rougher than I remembered. At one, the last long rapid we got out to walk around. I had the dog to lead by a chain. We had to go through a cedar bog filled with fallen trees, rocks & water. This dog jerked me about so that once he pulled me off a log into a pool of water. Johnson got discouraged and sat down on a rock beside the rapids and swore he wouldnt budge until they sent the birch to take him off. Freds time was up and we paid him after he had helped us past the rapids and he started back for Fowlers where he was to meet his party. We were sorry to have him leave. When Albah went back down the [?] after Johnson we pushed on in search of a camping ground and did not find one until we got near the N. W. end of the lake at a little sand beach just under the first high hill on the N. side of the lake. We did not get settled until late. As we were at supper a canoe came up with Ben York and Dan Hale on a hunt. They camped near us, with our men I think. After supper we made an agreement with Hale to stay with us for the remainder of the time we stay to begin tomorrow.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >