Jervis McEntee Diaries

Thursday November 22, 1888

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, November 22, 1888, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Thursday, Nov 22, 1888 12 above this morning. The men are shingling. It is cold and clear. Went down town. Received a circular from Jay Smith of the Minneapolis exhibition wanting my pictures for a private exhibition of his, indicating conclusively that not one of them is sold. I have written him that he can have them if not sold but that I dont think I have much encouragement to send my pictures out. The fact is I am discouraged about selling any thing. One must be a charlatan and make a noise to do that. The two carpenters finished shingling the house about 4 o'clock. Directly after lunch I dressed myself in my painting clothes and went up on the roof and secured the places around the chimnies with paint skins. I also painted the valley on the North side and on the dormer but in attempting the front gable I became frightened because I was so stiff and lame and got the carpenter to finish it for me, for which I gave him a dollar. I do not think, that henceforth I will attempt any such thing. I am too awkward and have not sufficient control of my leg. The gutters are still to be painted but we have left the ladder up and I think I can paint them from the ladder; if I cannot I will not do it at all. It has taken 14000 shingles laid 5 inches to the weather and about 250 running feet of ridge board. I pay 5.50 per thousand for the shingles and $2 pr. M. for laying them including the nails. Two men have worked 6 days each. I feel a sense of relief that it is done and will feel still better if I can paint the gutters tomorrow. Tom has cut down two or three apples trees which I marked. Two were about done with and the other was a sweet apple tree of which we have several. The wind is blowing from the N. tonight but the temperature is considerably higher.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >