Jervis McEntee Diaries

Thursday February 3, 1887

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, February 3, 1887, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Thursday, Feb 3, 1887 Went to Johnson & Faulkners to look at material for my screen but the clerk who attended to me was so disagreeable I came away. Called on Whittredge who is busy getting his pictures and studies ready for his sale in March. He was not very encouraging but he thinks now only of this important venture of his. His studies ought to sell well for they are charming. Wrote to Lambdin telling him I would send to the Pa. Academy my "Autumn fields" to Sara telling her I would not be up on Saturday and probably not until a week from Saturday. Wells the agent of the building came in to see me. He promised to send a man to fix the hearth tomorrow. I asked him about a carpenter and he recommended the one who has done all the work on this building for years. I wrote to him to send me a man. I am doing all of this without any money and it half frightens me. At a little after 3 oclock I went up by the L. road to Dr Taylors in 59th St. It was raining and the streets are in the worst possible condition. I had an interview with him and was favorably impressed by him as a sincere man. He put me through a series of exercises [?] to instruct me and to show me what ought be done but the result was that I concluded to go there every day for a month for fifty dollars. Spent the evening at Marys and went around to the club for an hour. It was pretty dull there but I read some French, a story in one of the magazines. I begin to feel a little anxious as every artist I meet has only lamentations to offer, but I am going to try to keep up my courage and not give way to despondency if possible. I had a letter from Mary Gifford today but when I opened it I discovered it was addressed to Mr. Bruce. She had evidently been writing to each of us and we have undoubtedly each got the others letter. I remailed it to her at once. I had a postal card from Eastman saying he returned from Washington last night and would see me at any time.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >