Jervis McEntee Diaries

Friday August 29, 1884

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, August 29, 1884, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Friday, Aug 29, 1884 Rained in the night and has rained all day. The Cornell hose Co. went to Utica yesterday to attend the Firemans convention. They have had a stormy day. Girard went along. Cousins Mary Waldo and Mary Ann Howard left for home. I took them up to the West Shore Station between showers. Went down town after dinner. We were told of an advertisement in the Kingston Leader for a place to rent for a term of years. I saw the advertisement, from some one in Milton. I answered our place was for sale and we might rent it, and took the letter down and mailed it this afternoon. Fixed my rod which I broke yesterday and worked between showers in the new strawberry bed and set out new plants where some had failed. My father and I sat on the front porch this evening. I remarked that he was younger than I am now when he first came to this house. I said I would soon be an old man and I looked forward to old age with great misgivings as I had no family and but very little provision against the time when I could no longer paint. He said he had lived to a good old age and he looked back on his life with satisfaction and that it had been successful and happy beyond his anticipations and I think he has a more than usually satisfactory life. I received a circular from the American Art Gallery, the second appeal, asking me to Contribute to a prize exhibition in March the money for the prizes having been subscribed by such generous patrons of American Art as, W. T. Walters, Avery, Knoedler, W. H. Vanderbilt, John Taylor Johnston, H. G. Marquand etc. In the first place I have no interest and no faith in prize exhibitions and in the second place I dont want any such encouragement from men who despise our art and our artists and shall have nothing whatever to do with it.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >