Jervis McEntee Diaries

Sunday February 23, 1873

Jervis McEntee Diary Entry, February 23, 1873, from the Jervis McEntee papers, 1850-1905, in the Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Sunday, Feb. 23, 1873- Friday it snowed all day and towards evening turned to rain. Mr. Williams of Williams & Everett came in and looked at my pictures. I saw that he would buy something if I would sell cheaply and so I proposed to him to let him have some of my smaller pictures at prices which would enable him to make something on them. The result was that I sold him a little autumn "Hussey Hill" 12x20 for which I ask $300, for $200 including frame, and the study for my Sea from Shore same size for $175 agreeing to exchange the latter if he cannot sell it after a reasonable time. I think it would be a good thing for me if the dealers would take hold of my pictures and to get them to do it they must make money on them. I had a cold which I had nearly cured but I went to Dr. Bellows last reception and I think added to it. Yesterday being Washington's birthday was a holiday and I had a number of visits. Hamilton came in with his wife to tell me I made a great mistake in not allowing him to make me an offer the last time he was here. That he was prepared to offer me within $40 of my price but that I was so decided he went and spent the money for a picture of Eastman Johnson, the Scissors Grinder. I could only say I had not changed my mind and that he could not have been very much in want of my picture. Shortly after he went Mr. Parkin came in with his wife to see my "Sea from Shore" which he seemed to like very much. Then came Mr Skidmore, wife and daughter. Mr. Skidmore was here with Mr. Hoe two or three weeks ago and looked at my wood interior. He said then he would come again and bring his wife and he intimated to me yesterday that something would come of their visit. After they left Bradford came in with a Mr. & Mrs. Hawley who also liked the wood picture and asked my price. I am in hopes of seeing some of these people again, but then it is very uncertain. Maurice came down from home yesterday to make a visit with Nett. Sterling. He and Sara lunched with us. In the evening I attended a private view of Kruseman Van Eltens pictures and studies which he is going to sell and from there Whittredge and I went to the Lotos Club, where we found Eastman Johnson and a number of the artists. There was music & recitations and a rather agreeable time.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >