Mustaches of Note - Carolus-Duran

By Jennifer Snyder
February 18, 2010
Photograph of Carolus-Duran

Archivist Jennifer Snyder takes a look at the fantastic facial hair of painter Carolus-Duran.

Photograph of Carolus Duran
Carolus-Duran, 1878. From the Charles Scribner’s Sons Art Reference Dept. records, 1839-1962. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.

John Singer Sargent studied under French art instructor and painter Carolus-Duran (Charles Auguste Émile Duran, 1837–1917). Sargent’s signature brushwork was developed during his time in Paris with Carolus-Duran.

The lovely portrait of Carolus-Duran Sargent painted of his mentor in 1879 (featuring that signature brushwork and the above pictured facial hair) can be found at the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, MA.

Jennifer Snyder works with oral history interviews at the Archives American Art. When not sending interviews out for digitization, she is writing about extraordinary examples of facial hair for this blog.

Great moustache! I want to grow one like that.

I love that upturned style of moustache. Makes the owner look authoritative whilst still somewhat eccentric.

Does anyone have any information about those old moustache cups that used to keep the glorious upper lip hair out of the coffee? I would love to find one even though my tache is not of the calibre of this chap.

I really wondered when i see your incredible postings on your site.Keep up the good work it!

Very interesting!