Kuniyoshi, Yasuo, b. 1893 d. 1953
Painter, Photographer, Art teacher, Lithographer
Active in Woodstock, N.Y.
The papers of Yasuo Kuniyoshi were digitized in 2005 by the Archives of American Art. The papers have been scanned in their entirety, and total 1,852 images.
Funding for the processing and digitization of a portion of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
Collection size: 11.8 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of artist Yasuo Kuniyoshi measure 11.8 linear feet and date from 1906-2013. The collection documents his career as a painter, graphic artist, and photographer, as well as his involvement in political, social, and art organizations, especially during World War II. Included are biographical material; correspondence; writings by Kuniyoshi and others; subject files primarily on his participation in various organizations and business dealings with American and Japanese galleries, museums, and dealers; exhibition catalogs and other printed material; photographs of Kuniyoshi and others; and artwork; exhibition and artwork records; and four scrapbooks. The collection also contains materials on Kuniyoshi's career and artwork obtained after his death by his widow Sara Mazo Kuniyoshi.
Biographical/Historical Note: Yasuo Kuniyoshi (1889-1953) was a Japanese-American painter, printmaker and photographer from New York, New York. Year of birth cited as 1889, 1890, or 1893.
The collection was donated in installments, from 1969 to 1995, by Sara Mazo Kuniyoshi, Yasuo Kuniyoshi's widow. Additional papers were donated in 2014 by Stephen Diamond, Sara Mazo Kuniyoshi's nephew.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- A portion of the papers of Yasuo Kuniyos was digitized in 2005 by the Archives of American Art and total 1,852 images.
- Zinc litho plates: For study purposes only. No reproduction or publication allowed. Sara Mazo Kuniyoshi, 194 Ohayo Mountain Rd., Woodstock, NY 12498-2535.
- A portion of the collection has been digitized. Use of material not digitized requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Use of archival audiovisual recordings with no duplicate access copy requires advance notice. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Yasuo Kuniyoshi letter to Edgar P. Richarson, 1948 July 25
- Yasuo Kuniyoshi photographs of artwork, circa 1945-1953
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Kuniyoshi, Yasuo