St. John's Museum of Art,
Collection size: 0.2 linear ft. (93 items).
Collection Summary: A list of watercolors and artists, under the heading "New Englan Coast"; annual reports; minutes of meetings of the Board of Trustees and of annual meetings; a form letter to members of the museum, 1939; lists of contributors, 1938-1940. There is one item dated 1976, a form letter about a reunion of the class of 1941 of the University of North Carolina.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art museum, Wilmington, N.C. Opened in 1938 with the help of federal aid administered through the Federal Art Program of the Works Progress Administration (later the Work Projects Administration). Most of its exhibits consisted of art borrowed on a loan basis. When the second World War began, the Museum took exhibitions to military camps in the surrounding area. In addition, art classes for children and adults were offered through the Museum. In the mid-1940s, the building (called St. John's Lodge No. 1) was given by its owner to the city, and the Museum eventually became a permanent civic institution, now known as the St. John's Art Museum, Wilmington, N.C.
Donated 1976 by Winston Broadfoot.