Kendall, William Sergeant, b. 1869 d. 1938
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 0.2 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Biographical accounts, letters (1931-1936), notes, writings, a watercolor sketch, clippings (1913-1934); an exhibition catalog, and photographs of works of art. Included are 5 letters to Kendall's daughter, Beatrice, 1934-1936, a letter from conservator David Rosen, 1931, and one from Charles Curran complimenting Kendall on his work in the Academy; a release agreement between Sidney Oppenheimer and Kendall regarding Kendall's payment for a "figure or bust" manufactured by the Henry Bonnard Bronze Co., 1900; Kendall family histories; an edited biographical account; a typescript of an article by Kendall on the Yale University Art School, 1914; a watercolor landscape sketch by Kendall; 5 clippings, 1913-1934; a catalog for a Kendall memorial exhibition at Yale; six photographs of works of art. Also included are a note from Peter A. Juley & Sons listing negatives of 14 paintings by Kendall; and a two page note listing furniture for disposal.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter. Kendall studied at the Art Students League, with Thomas Eakins in Philadelphia, and in Paris with Oliver Merson at the Ecole des Beaux Arts and became a National Academician in his early thirties. Served as Dean of the School of Fine Arts at Yale University, 1913-1922.
Donated by the Duke County Historical Society, Martha's Vineyard, Mass, who received them from an anonymous donor. [Kendall's father had a home in Vineyard Haven, but little connection with Martha's Vineyard. The Society accepts material relating to Vineyard history.] Three items received were transferred to the Mass. Historical Society: a typescript of a journal chronicling a voyage from Boston to Calcutta in the Brig. Smyrna, commanded by Kendall's grandfather, H. Rogers Kendall, Jr. (1827-1828); a memorandum of agreement regarding the sale of ships to H. R. Kendall (October 29, 1858); and a typescript of the diary of a Boston wool merchant in London to buy raw wool for New England factories in 1835.