Milliken, William Mathewson, b. 1889 d. 1978
Active in Cleveland, Ohio
Collection size: 4.6 linear ft. (on 10 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; biographical data; photographs; artists files; writings; financial material; a travel diary; and miscellany.
REEL 600: Correspondence, December 1933-August 1935, comprising 88 letters between Milliken, head of the Cleveland section of the PWAP, and applying artists, the Treasury Department, and other officials of the program. In addition there are progress reports on artists' work done in the Cleveland section of PWAP, December 1933-May 1934, extensive lists of artists' projects giving city, building, and description of work, and miscellaneous papers.
REEL 684: Typescript of an unpublished book "Stories Behind the Museum Collection," a 254 page history of the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio, written by Milliken. The history begins with the museum's inception in 1913. The date of the writing is ca. 1970.
REEL 1096: Copy of William Milliken's autobiography, 530 p.
REELS 1273-1279: Correspondence; biographical data; photographs; poems; lectures; addresses; radio talks; receipts and invoices for art objects given to the Cleveland Museum of Art; a travel diary, 1954-1955; and miscellany. There are files on Bernhard Berenson, Clarence Carter, Marshall Fredericks, Henry Keller, Wolfgang Dronig, Kurt Martin, Harold Parsons, Paul Travis, and others.
Biographical/Historical Note: Museum director; Cleveland, Ohio; d. 1978. Milliken was the curator of the Cleveland Museum of Art, 1919-1958, and director of the museum from 1930-1958.
Photostats on reel 600 donated by Cleveland Museum of Art; material on reel 684 lent for microfilming 1973 by William M. Milliken; material on reels 1096 and 1273-1279 donated 1974-1977 by William M. Milliken.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 600, 684, 1096 & 1273-1279 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with William Milliken, 1974 Dec. 27-1976 Mar. 13
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Milliken, William Mathewson