Kienbusch, William Austin, b. 1914 d. 1980
Painter, Art teacher
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 0.2 linear feet
Collection Summary: The William Kienbusch letters to Francis and Sydney Hamabe measure 0.2 linear feet and date from 1958 to 1977. Found in this collection are 93 letters and postcards in which Kienbusch discusses his work as a landscape painter and art instructor in New York and Maine, family business, activities with the Hamabes, their mutual friends, and other artists. Included as letter attachments are newspaper clippings and three catalogs for Kienbusch exhibitions at Kraushaar Gallery from 1959, 1969, and 1975.
Biographical/Historical Note: William Kienbusch (1914-1980) was a painter in New York, N.Y. and Maine.
The letters were donated in 1984 by Francis Hamabe.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- The collection is available on 35 mm microfilm reel 3118 at Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with William Kienbusch, 1968 Nov. 1-7
- William Kienbusch papers, 1915-2001, bulk 1936-1980
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Kienbusch, William Austin