Woolfenden, William E. (William Edward), b. 1918 d. 1995
Art historian, Arts administrator, Museum director
Active in New York, N.Y.; Detroit, Mich.
Collection size: 0.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: Primarily photographs of works exhibited in Michigan Artist Craftsmen exhibits at the Detroit Institute of Arts, 1950-1956, and Designer Craftsmen U.S.A. 1953 for which Woolfenden was a juror. Many of the photographs have labels identifying the museum holding the work, the artists' name, and year exhibiting. Some printed material, notecards and other documentation relating to the 1953 Designer Craftsmen exhibit are also found, primarily relating to the Michigan artists represented and the Michigan regional exhibitions. Also found are miscellaneous photographs, including one of Woolfenden with fellow judge Sarkis Sarkesian holding winning covers for the 4th annual Yearbook of the Newspaper Guild of Detroit, one of Woolfenden at a typewriter labeled Yearbook Staff 1940, and one of Woolfenden holding a bowl with a group of women identified as Museum and Television Party, 1949; twenty-four clippings are of articles by and about Woolfenden, circa 1938-1956 and his obituary, 1995; three illustrated letters from Detroit artist Cyril Miles to Woolfenden (ca. 1967); and a letter from Morris Graves, 1964, reflecting on meeting Woolfenden with Una Johnson, and "those days in St. Paul... wouldn't it be great sport if the three of us were sometime asked to 'do it again'."
Biographical/Historical Note: Art administrator, museum director, art historian. Died 1995.
Donated July 1980 by William E. Woolfenden.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with William E. Woolfenden and Irving Burton, 1992 December 12
- Oral history interview with William Woolfenden, 1983 March 17
- William E. Woolfenden interviews, 1970 and 1983
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Woolfenden, William E. (William Edward)