McVey, William Mozart, b. 1905 d. 1995
Active in Austin, Tex.
McVey, Leza S. (Leza Sullivan), b. 1907 d. 1984
Sculptor, Art teacher, Ceramicist, Weaver
Active in Cleveland,Ohio
Collection size: 22.8 linear feet (microfilmed on 22 reels)
Collection Summary: Papers regarding sculptor William McVey and to a lesser extent his wife, ceramist and weaver, Leza McVey.
REELS 869-870: Files on 26 commissions executed between 1938 and 1973; 2 scrapbooks; printed articles by McVey; sketches and drawings; clippings; and photographs. Correspondents include Chaim Gross, Zoltan Sepeshy, Boyer Gonzales, Clifford West, John Canaday, and others.
REELS 5439-5460: Correspondence, writings, art work by the McVey's and others, photographs, and printed material.
Biographical/Historical Note: William McVey: Sculptor, educator; Cleveland, Ohio; Leza McVey: Ceramist, weaver, Cleveland, Ohio.
Material on reels 869-870 lent for microfilming by William McVey. He subsequently donated the originals to Rice University in Houston, Texas. Material on reels 5439-5460 was donated in 1998 by the McVey estate via executor Seth C. Taft.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 869-870 and reels 5439-5460 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with William McVey, 1978 Feb. 20
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to McVey, William Mozart